Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Importance of Positive Thinking

I try to be positive as much as I can but, every now and then a negative thought crosses my mind. When that happens I try to get rid of the negative thought immediately and replace it with a positive thought.

I have been training with Tony since April and preparing for this competition next month. It's exactly 40 days away. I have been positive all this time and suddenly, as it's getting closer I am having these weird negative thoughts. I've spoken to a few competitors who say that it's natural to start doubting, but why? Is it just human nature?

My goal of course is to improve from my last competition and to put on more muscle mass. I definitely do not want to look skinny. On Friday I was not pleased with the way I looked and I felt that I really, really needed to practice my poses because they did not look right. I didn't give up and continued to practice. On Saturday, I continued to practice and took pictures. I definitely felt better and thought that I looked better. I know that I still need to practice everyday but what a difference a day makes!

On Friday, I could have just given up, but I knew that giving up was not an option and would not help.

Yesterday I went to the track in the morning to do my cardio, that I love so much and later in the day I trained my biceps and triceps. It was a grueling workout and lifting my arm was difficult after that workout. Somehow, I like when I have those types of workouts because I feel a sense of accomplishment.

Tony took away the berries from my meal plan. I just love fruit and I take advantage of the fresh fruit during the summer and eat all that I am allowed to eat. I have been eating fresh blueberries with my oatmeal in the morning, and breakfast will not be the same without my blueberries. I guess I have to get excited about something else on my meal plan. It will have to be the cherry tomatoes! I know that may be strange to some, but appreciating the little things (like blueberries and cherry tomatoes) helps me get through my strict competition diet!

Happy Training!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I like your thinking. Is this your first competition? I lost so much sleep when I had my first in April. My mind kept replaying my posing over and over and I couldn't sleep. Don't be nervous, you will do great. I wish I could be there to see you...but i have a competition that same day. :) Good luck

Tina said...

I can so relate to this post! It's hard to remember that you are probably flat and skinny looking because of the diet...that is so when you get those carbs back you puff right back up!! But definitely practice your posing, because stage presence is HUGE...you can make them see what you want them to see...make them see you are the face of figure!! I can't wait for you to take the stage!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, positive thinking is SOO important. Wonderful post.